panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2006-01-05

Ceiling Problems

I have been shooting panos for a few weeks now.  In about a third of the room shots of the ceiling, when the pano is completed, will have either a lighter or darker circle where the ceiling shot was stitched in.

I've tried altering the exposure in several different ways but I haven't been able to get a grip on exactly why this problem happens.  Consequently, my exposure solution is not solving the problem.  I'm shooting the rooms with a Canon 20D w/Sigma 8mm.  Usually I "Blend" the exposure meter readings and pick a level close to the that needed for the shadowed areas in the room.

Anyway, any suggestions on consistenly avoiding the ceiling ring either through exposure manipulation or specific processing techniques? 

Your input would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you

Rick Raines
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2006-01-05

When on a forum or in chat bold letters represent shouting.  Lot's of help here but lets keep our voices down  
On with the issue, are you stiching 4+ Top and Bottom?  If so try stiching 4 and photoshop the top and bottom should do the trick.  Hope this helps you out.

Regards, Pixel

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2006-01-07

We normally shoot 6-T-B.  If you have never had the problem with dark or light ceiling circles, what do you do differently?   Is there anything out there that would just blend  the ceiling in or match the wall shades etc.  It seems to me that if you can go to Home Depot with a paint chip and they can analize it and then make paint to match, shouldn't there be a software solution that can do the same thing so that the ceiling "color" is made to match the rest of the area?

Thanks again.

PS. I wasn't shouting.  All I did was type before.... I guess I must have hit the bold key and didn't notice.

Thank you

Rick Raines
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2006-01-07
I have the same problem even though I don't change the exposure on the camera. All I can do is adjust the ceiling in Photoshop. Sometimes I do it before stitching. Sometimes I'll save the pano as a PSD and do it after stitching.
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2006-01-08

Greetings Rick,

I am shooting with Canon 350D and Sigma 8mm, I asume you are using the Nikon setup which I am not familiar with.  I have read here it does require 6 shots, on the top and bottom I just not sure if you have to shoot those.  With the Canon and Sigma setup it is just plain easier to use the patch tool in photoshop to cover instead of shooting t - b and stitching.  This is simply my preferance and you will receive a lot of different ones here on the forum.  Sorry I could not be of more help.  Good luck to you and no bigy on the bold button, just wanted to let you know from my experiance.

Regards, Pixel