panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2006-08-20

I wouldn't dismiss Nikon, just think you've just been very unlucky.
Gen. Lee wrote 'The shutter is only rated to about 100,000 exposures' that's the same as the 5d.and more than the 20d I think! So remarkable value. Agree with Gen. Lee that they are 'throw away' cameras but not sure what digital cameras aren't at the moment. Canons two pro-bodies (1DMk2N and 1DSMk2) shutters will last 250k actuations, perhaps 2-3 years pro-use by which time it's time to upgrade anyway.

Not knocking Canon as I use both......Just some thoughts.......

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2006-08-24

This just gets better and better. Called Nikon 'support' on Monday and was told camera would be out to me on Wednesday.  Called again today (Thursday) to be told it was Tuesday now...

I'm furious! Nothing, I mean nothing, they have told me at any point has been carried through upon.  Def my last time with this lot. 

Is Canon's support any better as they will be my next manufacturer?

sales@actualeducation.co.uk
www.actualeducation.co.uk
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2006-08-17

Forrest,

I don't know what to say mate.

You made a judgement call and it backfired. What I would have done on the day? Probably the same thing, but I would have known it would screw the warranty.

Do the shoot or claim under warranty - you had too make a decision.

It does seem a lot for the repair. But everytime anyone in big business can stick it too you they will. It is a bit of a worry that the thing broke off in the first place. Plastic buttons! When I was looking to buy my Canon I had the choice (at the time) of the cheaper plastic bodied 300D or the Metal bodied 10D. Both pretty much where going to take the same images. But in the end I opted for the 10D for durability. (Maybe a wise choice!)

Good luck mate, I hope you get it back soon and it doesn't cost you the world.

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2006-08-17
If you are in the UK then work it out with nikon as best as you can and then if you feel hard done by take them to the small claims court. It costs very little. Give them the opportunity to make it right first obviously. But if you need peice of mind you can get a judgement one way or the other for not much cost at all.

In the end remember you are covered by the sale of goods act. Goods much be fit for the purpose they are sold. Nothing else matters, all warranties and official proclamations are just conversation. Lifes not fair and you can't expect the earth but if Nikon are being unreasonable then you shoudl get some compensation.

And incidentally the d80 is 550 at play.com (don't know if it has a uk warranty though
)

Oh and obviously always remain calm, losing you temper achieve zero with companies. Deciding what you want and being organized helps enourmasly as well.
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2006-08-17

Cheers guys I really appreciate your help. I suppose I just wanted shoulders to cry on!

sales@actualeducation.co.uk
www.actualeducation.co.uk
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2006-08-30
Quote: Originally posted by simon on August-20-2006

'The shutter is only rated to about 100,000 exposures' that's the same as the 5d.and more than the 20d I think! So remarkable value.

A 5D has the same life span as a D70??  Spend 2000 on a body and it only lasts for 100,000 exposures?  That's appalling! 

EDIT: Considering that as they can't replace the shutter, you have to throw the whole camera away.  I have my father's Nikon which survived Vietnam and is still running strong.  Shame they can't maintain that level of quality in DSLRs.