panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2009-10-06

Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG lens quick question

Hi all.

I have purchased a Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG lens through ebay and awaiting delivery. I am wondering if this lens will fit directly onto my EOS 450D or will I need an adaptor?

Thanks,

Woz.

Regards,
Wozza
EOS 450D, Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG, Manfrotto 190XPROB
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2009-10-06

Sigma manufacturers its 8mm fisheye specifically for Nikon, Canon or other.. you have to tell them which camera you are going to use the lens.

Please check you ordering documents for the term "mount type"  it should read for "Canon body type".  We have 2 Sigma 8's for Canon body  and they fit (on all Canon EF or EFS lens mounts) like our 350d,  500d, 20d, and 5d. 

If it says Nikon.. you have ordered the correct lens but for the wrong camera body.

/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2009-10-06
Quote: Originally posted by wozzaj on October-06-2009
I have purchased a Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG lens through ebay and awaiting delivery. I am wondering if this lens will fit directly onto my EOS 450D or will I need an adaptor?

Clicks straight on Wozza no adapter needed,

Be sure to remove "both" the lens cap along with the lens "ring". Simply pull the lens ring forward and both the cap and ring remove together. If you only remove the lens cap you will reduce the FOV and confuse yourself as to why you do not get enough coverage and overlap like other people!

Regards, Smooth
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2009-10-06

Thanks guys.

I ordered it from here: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Sigma-8mm-f-3-5-F3-5-EX-DG-Fisheye-Lens-IntWty-0544_W0QQitemZ200384059306QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_CameraLensesFilters_JN?hash=item2ea7d217aa&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177 and it makes no mention of any mount type hence the question. They do offer a returns policy etc and I have emailed them about it, but as yet - no reply!

Cheers again,
Woz.

Regards,
Wozza
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2009-10-07
While they make no mention of it the images shown are that of a Canon mount Sigma 8mm Fisheye. Normally Digital Rev contact you and ask what mount you would like if you haven't stated it with your order. Be sure you allow their email address through any spam filters you may be running.

Probably better to use internal ebay email.

Regards, Smooth
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2009-10-07

How can you tell by looking at those images that it is for a canon?!?! Also, I did ask the question through ebay, but still they have not answered. I just hope I get the one advertised on ebay!!

Thanks,

Woz

Regards,
Wozza
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2009-10-07

They look a lot different especially around the mount area.
Did you really buy this in Pounds Sterling? What was the converted price in AUD? $900+

Regards, Smooth
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2009-10-07

Well fingers crossed then that it is the Canon mount then! They certainly are a lot different, thanks for posting those images Smooth.

Believe it or not, it was the cheapest I could find, other than a company called Sighterz in HK, but they messed me around so much saying they had sent it and it never turned up, I got a refund and found this one. The Australian dollar is very strong right now and it worked out at $926.00 and that includes free shipping too! I checked a shed load of places and this was the cheapest one I could find. There were some slightly cheaper than the one I have chosen, but by the time they added the shipping cost it wasn't worth it. - I hope! I went back to DigitalRev as that is where I got my EOS 450D from cheaper than I could find elsewhere.

Will let you know. Really eager to get going with his and get into the world of virtual tours!!

Woz.

Regards,
Wozza
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2009-10-08

The Nikon version has the AF/M controls through the body menu system.

The Sigma 8 for the Canon has an external automatic focus / manual focus [AF M] switch near the mount to the body.

I did a screen capture of the model being sold on their site.  I think I can see the switch.

I am also trying to post a couple of photo's but the forum apparantly is not letting me.

Ok so I will sort of show you where the switch is located.  Look on Smooths Canon image.  lower left edge find a small black square box protruding out to left.  Thats the switch.

/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2009-10-08

Thanks Dave. 
As with a lot of companies on ebay, I know when they come to sell something new, they do a search for it on the net and find some advertising stuff on it and use it for themselves. However, in this instance as there are different models, I could see it quite easily not being the one advertised! Having said that, they are a photographic company so they should know, however, I purchased it and paid for it and they just sent it before I realised my mistake. I thought they would have asked which model I needed!! All I can do is wait and see for now!

Woz

Regards,
Wozza
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2009-10-09

UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Message from Digital Revolution:
Thanks for placing the order to us.

"We regret to tell you that we have experienced a problem with sourcing the Sigma 8mm f/3.5 F3.5 EX DG Fisheye Lens from our suppliers. Our regular supplier has failed to meet delivery and having tried to locate the item from alternative sources, unfortunately, there is no promising news as of this moment.

Please let us know whether you would like to continue waiting for the item or prefer a full refund instead.

Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused".

I am destined not to get this damn lens!!!

Regards,
Wozza