panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-08-04
I do see it in the tour, part of the image goes white for a brief second, like the lower 1/4or the top 1/4 of the image  sometimes the center. I'm using IE7 and FF 2.0.0.4 with Java 1.6.0_02-b06. It doesnt seem as bad with FF browser?
Roadkill
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-08-04

Hi Az

I have tried yours and my tours with a older version of Java 1.4.2 I read on the forum that is the one tourweaver is built on,but it made no diffrence.I have tried it on a PC with 75 hertz screen and on my own 60 hertz still flashing as you said Az it drives you nutz.

Cheers Steve

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-08-04

Road Kill,

What size monitor are you using and at what resoulution? I'm trying to see if I can narrow down the possible item(s) causing the issue. It doesnt seem to be Java since others have not had this issue with the later version. So perhaps it has something to do with the resoultion of the display and how Tourweaver draws and refreshes the image. It could also be a video card or something unknown. I havent tried it with out sound. I dont know why that would effect it but you never know.

AzPowers

www.WhirledTours.com

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-08-04

Ok Steve,

I deleted all of the sound files including the one in the publish menu and unchecked the loop as well and the tour doesnt do the flashing nearly as much when it pans on it own or when I pan it. I dont know what this means and it still does it a little bit but not nearly as bad or as frequent.

AzPowers

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-08-04

I have a Dell 19 inch monitor (18 viewable) (crt not lcd), 1024 X 768, Video Card is an ATI Radeon 9200 AGP - 128 MB - 75 Hertz - Colour Quality 32 bit - Hardware Acceleration Full

Intel Pentium 4 Dual Core 2.6 GHz - 1 GB RAM

Roadkill
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-08-04

I have Acer Notebook ,,,15.4 Widescreen Monitor Lcd colour quality 32 bit ,Screen Res 1280x800, Video card Nvidia GeForce Go 7300, 60 Herts,1Gig Ram

Cheers Steve

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-08-06

OK.. went back to Az's Wiseguy.com  video theatre.  Displayed FULL SCREEN.

Got it.. upper left corner of my Samsung 226bw monitor screen... saw block of white..  which immediately redrew to the panorama texture.

As the panorama rotates, 1 degree, the screen is refreshed at 30 frames per second.  Then rotates another 1 degree and refreshes at 30 frames per second and so on until complete 360 degrees.

Couple of things are happening during rotation. 

You video card buffers the image data to be shown on your screen in blocks. The video card CPU cycles this image data through the on card Ram buffer. The size of the texture data block is determined by the video card RAM buffer. 

Where the image texture block are positioned is determined by the 'viewer' instructions. The redraw frequency [frames per second] instructions are in the viewer software.  So your screen is filled with blocks of texture data, upper left to right top row on down to the screen bottom.  Like filling a checker board.

So it is a combination of two elements:  video card capacity to stream the texture data and the viewers ability to adequately position, rotate and redraw the screen.

The smaller the monitor,  smaller the image viewer display size the smoother the rotation.  Conversly, the larger monitor, larger the full screen, more data to process.

Possible fix? Optimize Video card capacity, panorama image size, display size.   To what size?  Do not know at the moment. 

Might suggest:  1.5mb panorama size, smaller display 800 x 600 view port dimensions.

Maybe that is why I did not see the white block on the smaller view port.  I did see it on full screen 12" x 18.5" (30cm high x 46cm wide). More screen area to fill.

Sounds like a reasonable explanation.

Yes, I updated Java to Standard 6, version 1.6.0_2_b06 yesterday.

Also tried to look at Az's index2.html page above.. wrote this long comment,  and INDEX2.html was still downloading when I finished.

http://www.whirledtours.com/index2.htm

/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-08-06

Hey Dave,

Sounds interesting. I have a pretty serious graphics card but maybe like you say it handles it incorectly or inefficiently. I checked my Index page and it downloads fairly quickly, maybe it was having an issue at the time you checked it. Most of my tours are not hosted from that site since its a work in progress but are embedded and are actually hosted from hometour360network.com. Which seems pretty fast on my connection.

Thanks for the insight. Mine blinks on the small viewer as well as the full screen view. I can look at it on my laptop just fine and it has a much weaker graphices system but it is a lower resoulution. I tried lowering the resoulution on my main monitor and it still had the white flashing. I dont get the flashing on much larger(8mb) full screen flash, or QTVR which I would imagine are much more demanding on my graphics system but Im not sure.

It wouldnt be that big of a deal to me if It was just on my system but what about if its doing this on the clients system or a potential clients system not to mention the intentioned viewer of the tour. Im assuming a certain percentage of those out there are going to see the flicker which will detract from their experience (it does from mine).

AzPowers

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-08-06

Dave,
 I agree, maybe AZ's images may be way too big, I have a pretty fast connection - maybe its his server? Anyway it takes way too long to load.
I used your sample http://www.whirledtours.com/index2.htm, I get the flickering/Flash on it too (its not the theater one - thats still trying to load).

I tried to video tape my screen, because its not a checkerboard loading thing - its a flash - did you see that Dave? any flashes or was it the checker board re-drawing deal you saw.
Filming the monitor has a messed up scrolling thing going on but you can still kind of see the flashes.
(Right Click>>>Save target as...)
Real Player: http://www.360-vr-tour.com/temp/flicker.rm
Windows Media: http://www.360-vr-tour.com/temp/flicker.wmv

Roadkill
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-08-07

Hmmm.

Its weird that its taking so long to download, that is concerning me. The largest pano is 800k in this tour which migh not be the smallest but isnt that large for a non-dialup connection.

http://hometour360network.com/provider/powerbott/test/vt_wiseguy.html

I cleared out my history and cache in IE and the above link takes right below 5 seconds to load in the skin, thumbnails, music and the first pano. I would love to know how long this is taking other people. I have ruled out building tours for lowbanders as they are not going to have high expectations given their method of connection (cant please everyone after all and only a fool trys to, or so I have been told).

A quik line on how long it took you to download would be appreciated and help me make some decisions on changing file sizes or maybe even hosting.

Thanks.

AzPowers.