panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-08-23
Hi DaMan, I downloaded the tour, took about 10 minutes. You are correct it is very good maybe the best I've seen. I can see an entire tour would take forever to download. I know that with all the programs you are using to make it that it's way over my head. Maybe someday Easypano will tackle the problem and make it simple for us non-techie's.
Good luck with the procedure.
Nikon D300, D3s, Nikon 10.5 lens, RingT105N+Footplate+MrotatorTCPs, Giottos MT9261 Tripod, Manfrotto 410 Jr geared head.

If you know the "secret" then everyday is a good day!
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-08-23
Hi DaMan,

Pretty good the video quality, although the lines at the window doesnt work very well on video (too thin).

Ill try doing it with 3ds Max.
I was used to it many years ago!

This quality is far better the original output from TW.
The collors, the textures, everything is good!

Have you tryed to apply a equirectangular texture to a sphere? Does it work well? Or the best solution is the cube faces?

Thanks for your attention!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Daniel
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-08-23

Thanks Jerry, I wish I could be of more help to you, but like I said I have spent months tinkering with this project.  My goal is to try and sell this to real estate agents as a High End solution.  I live in Norway and the price for 360 tours and stills is about 300-400 dollars that are not very good quailty .  (Minimum wage is about $20 an hour, Norway is a very expensive country) I plan on offering my tours for 500-600 dollars.  What I want to do is to market them to upscale homes $500,000 and up.  That increase in cost is nothing compared to the commision they get.  With a video of the tours in their windows on a flatsceen TV would really help. (I hope)

The other BIG reason is that I want to sell to tourist area or hotels.  With video instead of a computer I think it is alot easier to sell. Compuers are a pain to maintain and setup.  DVD players and TVs are simple and customers are confortable with them.  No update issues, hard dive, OS, software, viruses, networks, learning curve, training issues at all.  You can buy a DVD player for $50 and if something goes wrong throw it away and get anotherone. No big deal.  Try telling a customer that if they want to Tour on a flatscreen in their lobby they need to pay me then double the price to buy a computer to show it. Not to mention the other problems as stated above. 

thierry, Have you done a screen capture for TV?  Have you seen my sample file?  If so which one is better?  I have not tried that capture program but I will look into it.  I appreciate the advice and look forward to hearing from you. Maybe you can post a sample so I can look at it.

DaMan

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-08-23
Hi DaMan, here is an example (capturng easypano online example) :

http://brusson.com/videotour/index.html

(quicktime required: flash output possible but it was a quick made example)

thierry
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-08-23
Hi Thierry, that is very good quality. Was a little jerky until it fully loaded but then it ran great. What capturing program did you use?
Nikon D300, D3s, Nikon 10.5 lens, RingT105N+Footplate+MrotatorTCPs, Giottos MT9261 Tripod, Manfrotto 410 Jr geared head.

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-08-23
You would get better result if you don't capture on line example (which smoothness relies on the web broadband). So if you capture the tour on your own hard disk, it will be for sure smoother.

I used screenflow (mac only, sorry) but you can achieve similar result with camtasia (pc). Screenflow unlike camtasia relies heavily on the graphic chore or OS X system. Camtasia on the other hand relies more on the hardware itself. So in order to get result you have to make sure you have proper hardware and that not too many applications are running as well.

the movie is 15.8 Mo quicktime h264 compressed and streamed through another server

thierry
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-08-23
I have capturecam pro3, I think I'll give it a try. Good ida to capture it on my hard disk.

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-08-23
I tryed to capture screen with camtasia another day... the result wasnt good!
I looked like step by step (frame by frame) visualization, not smooth at all!

I put it to record 30fps on another Hard Drive (SATA I). No acceptable results!

I have a X2 4600+ with 2gb ram and lots of hard drives (5 big ones).

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Daniel
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-08-23

Hey thierry, I liked it alot. Really good quality.  I think I will give it a try.

2 concerns,

1. Will it look good on a 42 inch flatsceen? 

2. It needs to be in a DVD playable format.

But you have given me hope and I thank you, because my way was a TON of work and if I can just capture TW that would be great.  Thanks for sharing.

Daniel,  I was not able to get 3Dmax to work with a sphere projection but I am not an expert with it.  I used After Effects and used the cube output.  I will be testing screen capture and will update everyone next week.  I will post settings and resolution info with the example. 

Thanks everyone.

DaMan

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-08-23
Hi DaMan,
concerning your questions :

1. Will it look good on a 42 inch flatsceen?

Again it's a question of resolution.

A 42 inch (let's 1024x768pixels but with large pixels compared to computer screen equivalent resolution) screen can provide less resolution than a computer 30" screen (2560x1600).

TV screen are larger than computer displays and the pixel/screen ration is different than computer screen. Watching movie on tv is ok but working with it is a problem.

No one wants to plug a 42" tv screen to a computer as a display because of the size of the pixel (big).

A 42" inch tv screen can be hd or full hd (1920x1200). In that case you have to think about the way to play it too at such resolution :

1) hd or full hd / blu ray player :

If you want to play it top quality you can go blu-ray but you neeed to have the equipment to record it.
You could manage to make a applet with a frame which size would be 1280x720. Play it on your computer and record the screen activity. (again some screen capture software can handle such resolution in real time) The resulting movie would be ok on hd TV.

But then you will have to output stitched panos which size will be compliant with the 1280x720 applet frame (so bigger than regular tour which are dependent on the boradband line).

You could play a full screen pano at full hd resolution if you want to.

The output movie of the screen activity needs to be h264 to be blu ray compliant.

2) using DVD :

If you play it from a dvd t's ok too but the resolution will be lower (720x480 ntsc, 720x576 pal). (same issue as with movie dvd and movie blu-ray)

That size is close to the online example. So if you record the screen activity and convert it to mp2 dvd format (2 pass for better quality)
it would be ok.

Anyway you just need to make a tour with size of the frame which is close to the dvd resolution.

So to conclude, you have to have a tourweaver tour applet which must be at the equivalent size of the player capacity

2. It needs to be in a DVD playable format.

The output of screen activity gives you a movie just like any movie even if it's a vr tour. You can use it on different media, you can export it to h264 smalll size for web purpose and normal size mp2 for DVD.

About quality, what matters too is the compression format. That's the reason one recommand using h264 for streaming and blu ray. For dvd you have to use mp2 but some software give you the option to use 2 pass algorythm in order to improve the quailty of the output.

And you could use mpeg4 as well since a lot of dvd player can handle this format too but it's not 100% compatible with older dvd player.

To Daniel :

Camtasia as I stated before relies on hardware. You could improve the frame rate capture by capturing only the window of the applet. Close all other applications. You have to make several tests to see if you get any improvements. Depending on the graphic board you have,you can have better result.

I would advise to check with techsmith (company which provide camtasia) to see if they could make it by giving them the link and challenging them to record in real time the tour.

Otherwise they are developing the jing project (jingproject.com) and maybe you can try it (I never tried it myself)

thierry